Sunday, January 7, 2024

Two Thoughts (Part2)

So it's true the dinosaurs did end up inheriting the world. With over 50 million in population birds are highly widespread and diverse. My morning walks have brought them closer to me than ever before. I'm trying now to learn bird calls, not that I've been very successful, but it is a most fulfilling occupation. There are some that I can now distinctly make out, and some which I could always, the crow and koel as a case in point. Thought I'd start listing down birds I can now identify or have spotted, hope this list keeps growing. Not including crows, pigeons, peacocks, sparrows, kites, koels and doves :D. 

So here goes: 

Neelkanth or the Indian Roller - this is a beautiful blue bird with a very distinct call. It visited our park for a very brief period and I suspected was driven away by the very aggressive black drongos and babblers. It did look there was at least a pair, and every morning for a few weeks could hear it's guttural "chak chak" sound. To me it appeared almost like a bluish crow. 


Bharadwaj bird or the Greater coucal - I first spotted this bird in the SEEPZ complex in Mumbai, may have seen it before but never paid attention. A Maharashtrian friend pointed it out to me saying it's considered lucky to spot it (as is also the case with the Neelkanth it seems). It has this mournful, soulful sound. I often hear it during our morning walks, but it's a bit shy, so spotting it takes some time. 


Robins - there are two kinds I've seen in the park, small brown ones and black ones with a white streak across the wing. It's a very commonly spotted bird, not sure if I'd be able to identify it based on it's call. It seems to be a bit generic the usual twitter, but I maybe mistaken. It'll take me time to learn this talk. Edit: So these are two different kinds - the oriental magpie robin and the Indian robin.  


Pipits- took me a while to find the name of these birds, these look like female sparrows on stilts, foraging food in the grass. They are usually in a big group scattered around the grass, again a sound which can be classified as twitter, won't know it's them if I hear them. 

Sunbirds - I used to think these are humming birds as a kid and even larks, due to the black color of some of these. Again not one that I can identify from their sound, but they are easy to identify and spot.

Green bee-eater - These I used to think are mini parrots as a kid. They seem to be a bit seasonal, lots of them in the park these days. I think I know their call, but can't be very sure. 

Red-naped Ibis - This one again warrants another post. This was another satisfying experience, seeing a couple check out the place, build a nest, grow their brood, fly away and then come back with grown up babies for morning snacks. 

Pied wagtails - Spotted these for the first time this winter

Parrots and Myanas - again the most common birds, but very easy to identify from their call. 

Bulbuls 

Lapwings

Partridges - these are actually Gray Francolins or Teetar for us Indians - teetar ke do aage teetar ... I actually spotted three walking in a row one fine morning :) 

Black Drongos

Babbles

Hoopoe 

Golden Oriole 

Ashy prinia 

Woodpeckers

Hornbills

Rufus Treepie

Whoopies

Egrets 

Owls

Shikra

Indian white eye 

Hume's warbler 



No comments:

Post a Comment